top of page

St. Johnstone 4-1 Arbroath

St. Johnstone travelled to Arbroath today in a friendly, with the action at Gayfield Park kicking off at 19:45pm. There were fans from both sides in attendance.

[Saints fans in attendance tonight]

Saints started the game on the back foot and Arbroath were definitely the team who looked like they wanted it more, with Elliot Parish forced into a couple of brilliant early saves with the best of the bunch requiring the Englishman to tip over the bar from a close range header.

St. Johnstone were playing in an unlikely 4-3-3, deviating from the usual 3 at the back and only playing with 1 recognised Centre Back in the form of young loanee Hayden Muller.

However, Saints managed to take the lead on 45 minutes through David Wotherspoon with the first real attempt on goal of the half from the away side. Arbroath could definitely feel aggrieved to be behind and had certainly been the better side.

[St. Johnstone players training for today's game]

Saints were struggling and whilst we looked disjointed in defence, we also lacked much threat in the attacking half with lone striker Callum Hendry seeming bereft of confidence and service to the number 22 lacking. The absence of wing backs hampered our efforts going forward.

Into the second half St. Johnstone improved and the turning point of the game was the introduction of Jamie McCart, Jason Kerr, Ali McCann and James Brown, with this we saw a return to the 3-4-3/5-2-3. Within moments of entering the field both Kerr and McCart won headers and Rooney looked much higher up compared to the first half where he was stifled offensively.

Jamie McCart doubled St. Johnstone’s lead with a bullet header from a Wotherspoon corner on 69 minutes, leaving the keeper with no chance.

Saints then added a third on 78 minutes with David Wotherspoon capping an already amazing performance off with a curling effort nestling into the back of the net from close range. 2 goals and an assist for the saints legend.

Youngster Cammy Ballantyne finished the route with a quick fire goal in the 79th taking Arbroath by surprise after the goal keepers save was parried into the path of the midfielder who only had to tap it into an empty net.

Arbroath then notched a consolation goal from nothing when Harrison Clark fired an absolute wonder strike in on 87 minutes, leaving Parish with no chance as it was rifled into the upper echelons of the goal from the left hand side of the pitch, outside of the box.

Final Score: 4-1

Man of the Match

Our MOTM for today's game was David Wotherspoon, with the magical midfielder scoring twice and assisting once whilst looking outstanding whenever he had the ball. Elliot Parish was a close second and was very unlucky to have his cleansheet robbed in the final moments with a wonderful goal from Arbroath, throughout the game he made a couple of top stops and saved us on numerous occasions.

[David Wotherspoon on the ball]

38 views0 comments
Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page